Sharlotka is a traditional Ukrainian/Russian apple cake. I tried this homemade delicious cake for the first time when I visited my in-laws in Ukraine. My husband’s grandma’ baked it as the dessert after lunch. I loved it a lot and asked for the recipe as I love baking myself. Turns out, this is a ‘quick, simple, and delicious’ way to satisfy the sweet tooth when you do not feel like following a big complicated recipe with 15 different measuring cup or spoon :p Ever since I learned the recipe, we have made it multiple times and also ended up modifying a little. But we loved the outcome every time we tried it. So, without further ado – here it goes.
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- a pinch of salt
- sugar – 1 cup (or up to your taste)
- all purpose flour – 1 cup
- baking powder – 1 tea spoon (optional, baking soda also works)
- vanilla essence – 1 tea spoon
- apple – 1 big or 2 small
- blueberries/strawberries/chocolate chunks (a handful, optional)
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. When egg white and yolks are mixed, add in the sugar and mix well for 8/9 minutes using an electric mixer. Or until the color of the mix becomes light, it increases in volume, and becomes thick and fluffy enough to slightly form a ribbon when you raise the mixer whisk.
- Preheat the oven at 200 degree celsius.
- Add the vanilla essence and give it a quick mix. From now on you can simply use a whisk to mix the rest of the batter to avoid over mixing.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a different bowl, and sift in the liquid mix in 3 batches. Fold or whisk them in lightly. Be careful to not form any lump. Also scrape the sides to mix everything well.
- Prepare a cake pan with baking sheet and butter. Add a little bit of flour and dust around. This will help to take the cake out without sticking too much.
- Peel and dice the apples in about 2cm cube pieces. If you are adding strawberries, also cut them in half or quarter pieces.
- Add a thin layer of cake batter in the cake pan, put a layer of fruits, put the rest of the batter. If you are using a springfoam cake pan, you can add the fruits on top of the batter too.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Enjoy warm or cold 🙂
- Optional: You can add a dollop of whipped cream on top, or dust with powdered sugar. If you preserve it in the fridge, before eating, you can also add a splash of milk and microwave it for 30 seconds.
- You can also make cupcakes with this cake batter. Just add to buttered cupcake molds till they are half full. Add fruits. Top it up with some brown sugar and cinnamon powder mix. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick at the center comes out clean.